Friday, September 14, 2007

Lately the Bible has been coming alive to me. I'm not sure what's different, but in my morning reading - currently in 2 Kings - I am suddenly interested and intrigued by the stories of sons killing their fathers to take over reign of nations. Honestly, this particular section of the Bible isn't really all that exciting to me. And I know that God is not so concerned about me being excited about stories in the Bible, as much as He is about me living a life that is consistent with His ways.

But really, there are other sections of the Bible that keep me interested and keep me up later than I should be at night. The books of 1 and 2 Kings are not those sections. But I made a decision to read through the entire Bible, and I'm going to follow through.

Anyway, today I was reading in 2 Kings 19, and I realized I was actually absorbing what I was reading. Especially when I got to verse 28, which contains words God spoke to Isaiah for him to share with Hezekiah. They were talking about Sennacherib, who was not the nicest guy around at that time. The words in that verse really struck me. I love imagery, and God creates a powerful one here:
Because your rage against Me and your tumult have come up to My ears,
Therefore I will put My hook in your nose
And My bridle in your lips,
And I will turn you back by the way which you came.
My first thought was of a bridle on a horse. I guess I have horses on my mind lately, probably because I see so many of them as I drive all over the state. Anyway, then I realized horses don't usually have hooks in their noses. So I pulled out my commentary, and saw a note about this being a reference to the Assyrian custom of treating captured enemies like animals in a caravan. How powerful that God is using their own custom to create a picture of the way that He is ultimately in control over what happens to them!

I love the moments in the Bible where God sort of flexes His muscles and reminds man of His strength. I think too many Christians have a false sense of humility in their view of and approach toward God. We like to approach him meekly because we think we're being respectful, and in some ways while doing this we also treat Him as a weak God. I have a feeling that God really wishes we would be bolder and grasp a hold of the promises He makes to us, and claim the power He offers us. We are called to be more than conquerors, but it seems we act more like timid little kids than brave, valiant warriors. Verses like this give me a little bit of a rush, because I am reminded what a powerful, mighty God I follow and serve.

I have a renewed desire to know this book well. I constantly have a "to read" book pile by my bed, but for now the Bible is sitting at the top of it and staying there.

Lots on my mind, as usual. Last night while talking to a pastor at a nearby church, I heard him mention something about their visits to a local nursing home, and I felt a pull in my chest. I need to dust off my guitar and find a new place to plug in. I think one of the things I loved most about playing for the people in Sanford was that they always thought I sounded great. :) Of course, most of them also had hearing problems, so ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home