Thursday, July 12, 2007

pay it sideways

I think I need to make it a point to carry cash on me ... at least maybe $5 a day. I think this is maybe a reasonable amount that might just be enough to change the course of someone's day.

I just came from a artsy bookstore coffee shop in the heart of downtown Asheville. While I was looking at books and waiting for my iced mocha to be ready, I overheard two teenage girls trying to figure out which coffee drink they would order to share. They very possibly went through the entire menu, asking the not-too-friendly, pierced cashier how much each drink was. They had finally arrived at a decision (after much discussion and asking several times the size of individual drinks, all of which were the same size) at just about the same time my drink was ready. They walked up to the cashier, I walked up to the other end of the counter to pick up my drink ... and then I walked by them, put a $5 bill on the counter in front of them, and kept on walking.

How fun to watch the stare of the overly pierced and tattooed staff person, and to hear the girls say, "Oh my gosh, thank you!" several times, in various high pitches of voice. Sometimes I wonder if I do this kind of thing because it's the right thing to do, or because I enjoy the reaction it elicits ... and I didn't even touch on the stares of some of the people in the bookstore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home