Saturday, June 16, 2007

new community

Last night I met up with some people from the "young adults" group at church. Wasn't too sure about it, but ended up having a great night. We were going to go see someones friend's band play in Asheville ... but the show was supposed to be outside ... and there was hail and lots of rain, so the whole band thing sort of didn't happen.

Instead we went to a pretty cool restaurant/bar/pizza place downtown, played pool, hung out and talked, and eventually ate. I met some cool people and fed my culture-starved appetite. I hadn't realized how much I missed the arts, literature, and intelligent conversation. Last night I think I might have gotten an overdose. I realized for the most part that I really like college students more than people my age, because they are full of questions and ideas. I met a girl named Camden last night who I can already tell is going to be a good friend. She is an art major, and she is really, really good at drawing (she had her sketch book with her) and just fun to talk to. And talk we did, all night long.

After we ate, some of us went to the artsy theater a couple doors down and saw a random French film that was actually pretty good, although a bit weird in some parts. It reminded me of the independent theater in Rochester that I used to go to A LOT, and I liked it.

At church tonight, I met the guy who is going to be the pastor of a satellite church that is much closer to where I live. He is young and nice, and he and his wife got married on Elvis Presley's birthday (intentionally), so I like them already.

It was a good day. I hung out with Hannah, her brother, and sister ... we took pictures and made funky collages that they are going to give to their dad for Father's Day. In so many ways, she reminds me of myself at that age. She's 10, and her sister is 9, and I was right between those two ages when my father left. They have sort of a reverse situation in their family, because their mom is not in the picture. Anyway, after they finished their collages, we made a cake for their dad. Was that really work?

The whippoorwills are so loud tonight! The dogs and I sat on the deck for a while and watched some stars come out, and I am feeling that familiar aching inside. I don't know what it means. Maybe I want more of this, maybe I want this for other people, maybe I don't want to go to sleep tonight lest I wake up and find that somehow life lost its magic.

My neighbor Michelle had her baby. I hear the sweet little girl crying right now, and I am amazed at her (Michelle's) strength in raising this baby alone. I'm heading downstairs to give her a break. I found a great old rocking chair at an antique store the other day, and I have been working on sanding it down and painting it. I can't wait to give it to her.

What a wonder this life is, and what a tremendous honor to be who I am.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home