Monday, July 30, 2007

hey Jack Kerouac

Today, in anticipation of the 5+ hours of driving I'd be doing to visit clients, I drove down the hill from my house and stopped at the tiny local mountain library to get out some books on CD.

This morning I started a Jack Kerouac book, and I LOVE IT. Ok, so maybe I'm a little late in the game. I have heard lots about him, but until today hadn't read anything by him. His words are perfect listening while driving, especially while driving through the mountains. He is one of those authors whose words cause my eyes to sparkle as I read (or listen) to them.

Though this quote isn't from the book to which I'm listening, I found it tonight while looking up other works of his, and I like it A LOT. It reminds me of the state of being in which I find myself most all the time these days, as soon as I step out of my front door and take a few steps from my house:
The woods do that to you, they always look familiar, long lost, like the face of a long-dead relative, like an old dream, like a piece of forgotten song drifting across the water, most of all like golden eternities of past childhood or past manhood and all the living and the dying and the heartbreak that went on a million years ago and the clouds as they pass overhead seem to testify (by their own lonesome familiarity) to this feeling. Ecstacy, even, I felt, with flashes of sudden remembrance, and feeling sweaty and drowsy I felt like sleeping and dreaming in the grass.
In other (not so deep or happy) news, I found myself tonight in an all-too-familiar conversation with a kid about MYSPACE. She is 13 and decided to set up a profile in which she said she is 18 ... and she made lots of older male friends as a result. So tonight I had the wonderful experience of addressing this issue with her and trying to convince her of how overrated Myspace is. Honestly? I am sick of the site, especially when I hear reports of thousands and thousands of sexual predators utilizing it to find their victims. If it were up to me, the site would go down ... and so would the parents who are clueless as to what their kids are doing online.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home