Saturday, May 06, 2006

self talk

I like to read. At any given moment, I am usually in the process of reading five or more different books. I try to mix it up, so that I'm not reading three history books all at one time, or four deep philosophy works at once. I like to have a myriad of literature at my fingertips. One of my recent picks is a book that is about changing your life by changing the choices that you make. There is definite truth to this, and this book is inspiring and energizing and refreshing. But I have also been catching a little skepticism in myself, especially when the author talks again and again about the importance of "self talk". According to him, I should wake up in the morning and tell myself __ times that "I am great at buying socks" or "I am the best egg scrambler on my street" or something like that. Honestly, it doesn't make much sense to me. I'd rather just do something or live it out than tell myself about how I do it. I can see the merit in it, and I can't say for certain that I will never, ever do it (probably choosing other subjects than socks or eggs, though) ... but this morning I was reading in my Bible, and I realized maybe Mr. Success has a point. Maybe, in order to remember that I am a glorious creation in Christ, I do need to start reminding myself of some things a little bit more often.

This morning I decided to focus on Matthew 5:13-14, and then I personalized it as if it is really me speaking it in the first place:
I am the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men.

I am the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden.

Maybe if I keep telling myself this enough, it will become true in my life. Stay tuned for what I tell myself tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home