Wednesday, May 03, 2006

the believers' prayer

Now that I am back to blogging, I am a crazy blogging machine. And my posts seem to be really long ... kinda like my prayers tend to be. Anyway, I was reading in Acts again this morning, and was struck (yet again) by how very different Christians today are from Christians in that time.

The heading in my Bible before these verses is "The Believers' Prayer". It sort of makes me wonder where the believers are today. Or, if we are believers ... if what we are really doing is praying. Who prays like this????
Now, Lord, consider their threats and enable your servants to speak your word with great boldness. Stretch out your hand to heal and perform miraculous signs and wonders through the name of your holy servant Jesus.
After they prayed, the place where they were meeting was shaken. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke the word of God boldly.
-- Acts 4:29-31

The editors of my Bible decided the next section is an illustration of "The Believers Share Their Possessions". I am sure we think we do a good job today of sharing and of giving to the needy, but still -- how do we compare to how they were living?

All the believers were one in heart and mind. No one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they shared everything they had. With great power the apostles continued to testify to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and much grace was upon them all. There were no needy persons among them. For from time to time those who owned lands or houses sold them, brought the money from the sales and put it at the apostles' feet, and it was distributed to anyone as he had need.
-- Acts 4:32-35


I feel just a little bit convicted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home