Tuesday, August 02, 2005

cafe mocha wishes and apple cinnamon scone dreams

Today was my first day as a barista.
I loved it.
To sum it up, I currently hold several different jobs/titles: nanny, barista, crisis interviewer, plant person (at the nursery), worship leader, bulletin designer/updater, outreach coordinator.
Isn't it funny how we rely on titles to help define ourselves?

I was very close to dropping most of these for the single title of "teacher" ... and who knows what may still come in the next few weeks. I interviewed at the local high school yesterday for an English teacher position. But as of today, I think I have made the decision to turn down the position (if it is actually offered to me) and stick it out as a nanny. I committed to this family for a year, and I don't iamgine it would speak very well of me (or the Christian testimony I very openly claim with the family) to break the agreement so that I can pursue something I'm not 100% sure I want to pursue.

Anyway, back to the barista thing. I picked up a part-time job at a local, independently owned coffee house. To be more accurate, I first picked up a part-time job at a regional chain coffee place, but the next day was offered a job at the independently owned joint ... so I went anti-establishment and decided on the maybe not quite as cool (but definitely higher quality) local place. And this place has cool potential ... so I think it's all good. Most importantly, I get to wear flip-flops to work.

I will write more meaningful stuff later (that's for you, DAVE). I just wanted to brag about the barista thing.

3 Comments:

At 10:15 AM, Blogger Dave said...

oooooh--indie-coffee-shop baristas are HOTT.

I'm a bit surprised about your decision not to teach at this time; however, it sounds like you clearly have thought it out and prayed it through, and this is really what you want to do. So good for you, kiddo.

Who knows, your work with the kids you have may not be done yet.

 
At 12:30 AM, Blogger AndyOfVermont said...

That's GREAT Krista. A noble decision. But... don't give up on the teaching idea. Maybe next year... take a little risk and check it out. Its about the only way to know. :)

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger Rick said...

barista? you're my idol. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home