Sunday, March 13, 2005

things as they are

I have lots things to say and write. But I am just not feeling like saying them or writing them right now. And even what I'm going to write is probably full of bad grammar and choppy sentences ... sorry, that's just the way my mind is working right now.

I drove through a thunderstorm tonight after church. As I was driving towards it, in the quiet refuge of my car, I watched in front of me as brilliant jagged lines of white cut across the sky. It was beautiful and breathtaking, and I felt very small and powerless. But as I prayed out loud, I began to feel very safe and secure in the knowledge that the One who holds my life and my heart is the same One who created such awe-inspiring sights.

I kept driving toward the lightning, and soon I was in the heart of the storm. When I arrived at my destination (Caribou Coffee = coffee haven), I made a dash from my car and got completely soaked in the sudden downpour. But it was wonderful. I was tempted to stand outside and play in the rain, but I wanted coffee way too badly to do that. Anyway, it has been a while since I have experienced a good thunderstorm, and it was the perfect ending to a good day.

I will write more about my new location (North Carolina) soon. For now I'll just say that I can't imagine being anywhere else right now. It just feels so right ... more right I think than any other part of my life as of yet. So it's good. There have been some tough moments, but through it all God seems to be showing me that this is exactly where He wants me to be right now, and I'm happy with the thought that perhaps my choices are pleasing and glorifying Him.

I was just looking through my quote notebook and came across this one from one of Amy Carmichael's books. Her words pierce through my heart every time I read them, even if only moments have passed since I just read them.

" ... singing hymns from a distance will never save souls. By God's grace, coming and giving and praying will. Are we prepared for this? Or would we rather sing? Searcher of hearts, turn thy search-light upon us! Are we coming, giving, praying till it hurts? Are we praying, yea agonizing in prayer? Or is prayer but a 'pleasant exercise' -- a holy relief for our feelings?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home