Tuesday, February 01, 2005

change, change, and more change

Remember this post? Well, in case you don't know, my path has taken a totally different turn. If you know me at least a little bit, you already know about this, so just shake your head again and go read someone else's blog. If you don't know me, maybe you don't yet know how random I seem to be lately, so read on and laugh at the random musings of a girl who thinks she finally knows what she wants to be when she grows up.

So, if you read that post from mid-December, you will see that I did indeed accept a job at my old college. A few weeks after I said "yes" to that job, I started wondering if I really wanted to work at that job. Did I want the job, or did I just want to get out of here? After much thought and prayer (and a visit down south, complete with several visits to Waffle House), I realized my motivation was found more in the latter question. And that didn't sit well with me. So I started thinking about what else I could do for a couple years while I pursue the teaching thing part-time (those of you who think I'm crazy -- please notice that at least this is a common theme running through my ideas about the future), and my mind wandered back to the nanny thing. So I went online and connected with a few different families who were looking for a nanny. After talking to them and praying about it, I have narrowed the possibilities down to two great families.

Origination of the nanny idea: I was a nanny for several summers while I was in college, and it was my first (and second) full-time job after college. And I might have been one for even longer, if I hadn't run into an awkward situation with some parents about some material (in the form of videos and toys) that I stumbled across while playing with their 9-month-old daughter. Yikes. So I ran away from that job, ended up in a position as a travel agent (ok, so maybe I am random) for a year, then fell into my current position as an editor, because I felt like maybe I would actually put this highly desired English degree to use.

That about brings us to today. I sit here in my office, three days away from being a former Senior Manuscript Editor, and not really feeling like I did actually use my degree much at all in my four years here. I still don't know where I will be in two weeks. I might be enjoying my first day as a nanny to some adorable kids in North Carolina. I imagine I will be just getting home from picking up the 5 year old from school, and perhaps entering into an exciting game of dress up (I was a princess when I was there three weeks ago) or maybe a rousing game of tag with her and her two little brothers. Or ... I might be somewhere on my way to Colorado, in a car full of clothes and CD's and dogs. Craziness.

As of now, the 2-3 year goal is still the same: hopefully teaching on or near the Native American Reservations in southern Colorado or northern New Mexico ... it's just about what I do until I get there.

You'll be the first to know. Ok, I lied. Probably my mom will be the first to know. And then my sisters and my grandmother. But you'll know soon enough.

Running list of things to do in the next couple weeks:
-- choose a state in which to live
-- pack
-- buy dog food
-- remember how to write at least three consecutive sentences without using elipses, parentheses, or dashes
-- return library books and CD's
-- put new strings on my guitar (it's that bi-annual time where I feel inspired to play again)
-- learn to trust God and not myself

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home