Tuesday, January 25, 2005

nice and sick

So, I'm home from work sick again. This is the second day. Actually, I went in today ... for about 45 minutes. And I couldn't stop coughing, so I left and came home.

I realized something this morning on my drive into work. I'm a nicer person when I'm sick. Ok, maybe my mom would say otherwise, because she's the one who gets to wait on me and pour me more ginger ale and walk my dogs for me, and listen to my whining. But if you asked the people in traffic this morning, they would tell you I was just about the nicest driver I've been in quite a while. I guess maybe it's because when I'm sick, I feel weak or something ... and my defenses aren't up. I don't feel like I need to race other cars into the garage, or try to rush through a yellow light before it turns red. I stop to let pedestrians cross (even if I have the righter way). I drove this morning how I used to drive, aware of other people around me. And it was nice. It was nice to see the look of surprise on the woman's face when I stopped and waved her across the street, and it was nice to see the shocked expression on the man's face when I let him have the parking spot I was going to back into.

Does our weakness make us more aware of others? I have thought this before, but then I guess the weakness passes, and I'm strong again, and maybe I forget about it. I'm not just talking about catching a cold or getting the flu, I'm talking about enduring suffering and experiencing hard times. Do these things break down our defenses so that we are slower to rush ahead of others?

I have a headache, and my body hurts ... but right now my heart feels healthier than it has in a while. So if a little fever is what it takes to get me thinking (and feeling) right, then please, let me be nice and sick.

1 Comments:

At 9:53 PM, Blogger Krista said...

Australian Cattle Dogs ... lots (and lots) of energy, but lots of fun. They're being nice to me when I'm sick though -- just cuddling up with me on the couch while I lay there and cough.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home