Friday, December 31, 2004

I'm listening ...

to her right now, and you should too.

I just recently made a friend who's the manager of the very cool local High Fidelity-esque place. I went there last night to look for some CD's for my upcoming trip (as in coming up today). I really was going to actually purchase some CD's, but he saw me and introduced me to a killer benefit of having a friend who's the manager of a music store: play/promo CD's. He just start rifling through stacks of CD's and handing me groups to check out. And he said "get them back to me whenever, or don't." How very cool. I think this perk might be reason enough to never leave Rochester. Or not.

Ok, so I leave for my trip today. Alabama, here I come. Nashville, I'm coming for you too. And South Carolina -- watch out. It's Tour de South 2004, Krista-style. I'm so looking forward to it, even if all I do is find some local hang-outs and cause silence as I open the door and walk into a smoky room full of people that have known each other since grade school. That's happened before, in some of the tiny little towns in Montana and Colorado that my mom and I just sort of ended up in. And it's fun. That's my favorite part of traveling: the people you meet along the way ... some on purpose, some completely by accident (but is it really an accident?).

I pray this weekend will find me with my eyes and ears open to the voice of God. There are lots of decisions and questions floating around in my head these days. I know that a change of scenery right about now will do me all kinds of good. It will be good to drive for hours and hours, and see different places and faces. A Rich Mullins song is popping into my head, so here is some of that:

... if I were a painter I do not know which I'd paint
The calling of the ancient stars or assembling of the saints
And there's so much beauty around us for just two eyes to see
But everywhere I go I'm looking ...

... I've seen by the highways on a million exit ramps
Those two-legged memorials to the laws of happenstance
Waiting for four-wheeled messiahs to take them home again
But I am home anywhere if You are where I am ...


I know that I don't need to leave Rochester to see the beauty, but right now I think I need to. Besides, I get to drive a truck and listen unashamedly to country music ... what more could a girl want?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home