Friday, May 05, 2006

I think I found it ...

We talk so much about discovering God's will for our lives. Well, don't be jealous ... but my search is over.

I was reading this morning in 1 Thessalonians 5. It seems that maybe God's will for me comes in three parts:
1. be joyful always
2. pray continually
3. give thanks in all circumstances

The rest of verse 18 tells me that " ... for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."

Easy enough, but what does this actually look like in real life? Well, I do know that joy that is conditional is not real joy. It can't depend on circumstances or on people or on the weather or on anything but God and who He is. It's a fruit of the spirit, or maybe the Spirit. It's the underlying current in the river of life. I am pretty sure that #1 is a whole lot easier to do/be if I'm doing # 2 and # 3. Paul, Silas, and Timothy don't say "these things" are God's will for you. It's one inclusive thing ... "this". I can't be joyful if I'm not praying, and I can't give thanks in all circumstances if I'm not joyful. Whether I like it or not, these things together constitute the perfect will of God for ME.

If I'm really praying and drawing near to God and letting Him speak to me, I will be full of that joy. I will know in my heart and soul that I am loved beyond all measure or understanding. And I will not be able to help being thankful. And that thankfulness won't end when my circumstances change, or if the storm clouds darken my way, or if life isn't maybe quite as happy as it once was ... I will give thanks always, knowing that the One who orchestrated those circumstances is the One who will enable me to have joy that never fades or falters.

Thank you, God for this joy that is so great that I am unable to fathom (much less speak) of it. Thank you for revealing Your will to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home