Monday, July 26, 2004

sleepless nights, coffee-filled days

Actually, coffee-filled days and nights ... pretty much a coffee-filled existence.

Yesterday was one of those days that I refused to let end.  It was such a good day ... I clung to it with every ounce of my being and fought sleep to the very end.  Yesterday was like an almost-empty bottle of really good orange juice on a very hot day ... I kept shaking and shaking until I was sure I got the very last drop ... or at least until my hand began to hurt from all the shaking.  It was such a much-needed cold drink in a very hot spell of my life.  And I didn't want to go to bed, lest I miss out on any remaining drops of the sweet satisfaction of the day.

It started by me going to church with a couple friends.  Ok, let's back up ... actually, it started with me waking up on a friend's couch after being lulled to sleep by the soothing images of "The Butterfly Effect" flickering on the screen in front of me.  So I woke up to a smell I (the sole dweller of my apartment) never smell these days ... breakfast.  And it smelled good.  But I had to rush home and walk the dogs, so I didn't have time to stay.  This is unbelievable, but the woman of the house (my friend's sister) made me a plate to go.  Who does that?!?!?!?!  I'm not complaining ... Mel, the cherry crepes were out of this world!  The perfect start to a great day!

Then I head to church with my friends.  An "eh" kind of service at a new church.  Lots of sweet, sweet milk ... not so much meat being thrown out there to the hungry congregation (who seemed a little too content with the sweet milk they were being served).  Anyway, if nothing else, the softness of the message led to lots of good conversation in the afternoon.

More talking, then a yummy lunch ... then more talking.  Can I just say -- I just met some of these people a few weeks ago even, and they are the coolest.  One fella in particular is just so much fun to talk to.  Or sometimes not talk to, but just sit and hang.  Whenever we spend time together, I just feel so much like "me" that it's almost frightening.  It's just fun, that's all.  It's also fun to hang out with semi-recently-married couples our age.  Sometimes I feel so unable to relate to "them" ... as if once you become married, you somehow evolve from being part of "us" and become one of "them."  Anyway, yesterday I was able to talk to some married types and realize that their lives are very much like mine, except they're living with someone else ... someone that they love.  But I love my dogs, so you know -- it's not too far off.  :)

Anyway, an afternoon full of lazing around on various porches and lots o' good conversating.

Then an evening of a good movie ("The Bourne Surpremacy"), amazing blueberry pie, and that sweet nectar that rules my evenings ... coffee.  I went to the diner alone with a freshly borrowed book that I have long been wanting to read ("Desiring God," by John Piper), very much looking forward to slumping in the comfort of a booth and feeding my mind and my soul (as well as my growling tummy).  I read for a while and was soon interrupted by an old friend I hadn't seen in at least 3 years.  What a nice treat from God.  We got to talking about all kinds of stuff.  It was good. 

Eventually he left and I got back to my book.  Only 1:45 at this point.  The night was mine and God's, to do with what we wanted.  Finally my legs grew restless, and I made my way out to my car.  I popped in my favorite CD-o'-the-week ("better days," by rsb) and began the drive home ... only I didn't go home.  The lyrics permeated my skin and kept me driving, past my street and towards the lake.  20 minutes later, I pulled into the lot and sat on the hood of my car for a while as I watched the lights dancing on the water and let my ears continue to be romanced by the sweet sounds of Robbie Seay and his boys.  I could feel my eyes slowly getting tired, so I forced myself back into the car and began my trek home.  I played my guitar until my eyes could no longer stay open, then I flopped into bed and slept the sleep of a happy child ... a child with a tummy full of sweet candy but no tummy ache ...

What a great, great day.  I drank the bottle dry, and I savored every sip.


10 Comments:

At 2:06 PM, Blogger Dave said...

That *does* sound like a good day.

I met Robbie once. Totally nice guy. Like you always hope your favorite singers to be, then are disappointed to find out they aren't. But Robbie was awesome. When I met him, he didn't say "Hi, I'm Robbie Seay, as in the Robbie Seay Band." He just said, hi, I'm robbie. That's it.

I've seen RSB play two or three times. Turns out they're based down here in the Southland. Funny thing is, I first found out about RSB through Seth Woods (formerly of RSB), who's one of my favorite singer/songwriter-types, instead of the other way around. But few things in life happen the normal "way-around".

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Krista said...

Ummmmm hmmmm.

Wow, that's encouraging to hear that he's a nice guy. And that he's so down-to-earth. You're right, I would imagine him to be a very cool guy who would be up for just sitting down for some coffee and talking about life ... but unfortunately usually those I think would be like that, aren't.

Seth Woods. Where have I heard of Seth Woods? On your blog maybe? He's on my list of "CD's to buy when I actually have money after paying bills." I'm thinking of changing the name to of the list to "CD's to buy instead of paying bills."

Thanks for reading, Dave. Hey, do you have any clue why the "About Me" sidebar is way down on my page? I can't seem to fix it.

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger Darcie said...

mmm... what a lovely day. i'm glad you could savor the nectar of it.
was the bourne supremacy really good? i didn't think the first one was that great... i seem to remember plot holes and overall cliche-ness. but i love franka potente, so i went for her.

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger Krista said...

I thought The Bourne Supremacy was pretty good ... but I also liked the first one.

If your sole reason for seeing it is Franka, probably don't shell out a big handful of cash to see the sequel right now, because she's not really in it too much ... that's all I'm saying. I don't want to give away what happens in the movie (though maybe I already have).

 
At 5:35 PM, Blogger Dave said...

Yeah, because there's a knock at the door, and she asks who it is, and the voice says, "Telegram!" and she says, "no, you're that land-shark, I know it's you" and after a moment the voice says, "Flowers!" and she says, "oh, okay" and opens the door, and the shark eats her.

So she's not in much of the film.

I thought the movie was great. But I really liked the first one too. So I'm no help.

 
At 5:54 PM, Blogger Dave said...

By the way, Krista, if you're bored or suffering from insomnia, my mildly-amusing Robbie anecdote is here (http://teacherdave.blogspot.com/2003_12_01_teacherdave_archive.html) on the Dec. 13 post, "Stranger in a Strange Land Bookstore". In three parts, no less. Yes, indeed.

So... like I said, if you need a sedative, there ya go. But read them in order, otherwise it's much less amusing.

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger Krista said...

Wow, I read it ... all three parts of it. And I didn't find it sedative-like at all. I'm jealous. Well, I would be jealous if I weren't aware of the fact that jealousy is actually a sin and I'm only hurting myself when I'm doing it ... But again, more than anything, I'm encouraged ... and it just makes me like those rsb fellas even more ... so much that I'm digging around for their CD right now, so I can pop it in my computer's drive. Here come better days, definitely.

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger Darcie said...

hey krista... just thought i'd comment on your stats being so low down on the page. mine did the same thing one time when i tried to insert a really long link into a post, so maybe that's it. although i can't remember a link in your recent posts... but i know when that happened to me, after i took out the link my stats returned to normal.
btw, thanks for the heads up on franka... i probably will rent it at some point. i saw that julia styles is in this one! people always say i look like her. there's a random factoid for ya.
dave is cracking me up with that shark silliness. :)

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Krista said...

Hey Darcie, thanks for the note on the stats thing ... it looks like it might have been the fact that I had the words for "Jesus Saviour pilot me" set up like a quote ... I switched it, and it seems like things are back to normal. You tech-smart modern woman, you!

I've always said Julia Stiles has class. (Ok, I haven't ALWAYS said that, but I have since I first saw her in a movie). So I guess you have class. Cool.

 
At 3:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a wonderful day krista - you have been blessed!

thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting! i will pray that you and your boy work out. ;)

stephanie
http://unfinished.typepad.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home