Wednesday, August 11, 2004

congratulations?????

What a weird day.

I got all kinds of "good" news today from some co-workers on my team ... someone got engaged last night, and another person recently got pregnant. All kinds of congratulations are in order, right?

Well ... does it change things if I mention that the person with the new, sparkly engagement ring has been living with her fiance for about 4 years now? How about if I mention that the new mother-to-be will be raising her child with her lesbian commonlaw wife?

Please don't misunderstand ... I know there are things in my life that could be held up to the light for everyone to see how ugly and warped they are ... but I don't expect people to congratulate me on the screwed up state of my life. And I'm not sure I'm ready to congratulate other people on the twisted state of theirs. Call me a killjoy, call me judgmental (even though I don't think I am), but please don't call me a celebrator of stuff that shouldn't be celebrated.

2 Comments:

At 11:08 AM, Blogger Darcie said...

oooooh... i feel you on that one. isn't it crazy how things have gotten so twisted that you can't even feel right congratulating people about these normally good things? because they're not fully right... yes, they're good things that God has given us, but people have distorted them, taken advantage of their free will, and then they want us to stand up and cheer for them. it's not like you can say, "congratulations, but...", so i'm with you... i'd rather say nothing unless i'm close enough to the person to tell them what i really feel.

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger Krista said...

Right, and unfortunately I'm not super-close to either of these people ... I have had good conversations on both these issues though with other people who are involved in the same kinda stuff (and who I'm close to).

Man, sometimes I try to imagine the size of the tears that must fall from God's eyes when He looks at us and all the silly things we do ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home