Friday, August 27, 2004

what God will be joining together

One of my college friends is getting married today. I was planning to go to the wedding, but just about everything that could go wrong -- did. So, here I am, in front of my computer, wishing I was just about to pull up to a small white country church in York, Maine.

In just 1 hour and 17 minutes, my friend Mat will be joining his life with another. What a wild concept -- gathering your friends and family to watch as you promise to stick by another person. Another person who may have mood swings and bad days, and allergies, and sinus infections, and ingrown toenails and broken bones. This person may lose their job or they may get promoted. There's no way to know what might happen with this other person, but there you are -- in front of an altar, blindly stepping into this commitment where you have no idea where the years may take you.

This whole commitment is such an awesome picture of our relationship with God. God looks at us with our mood swings and bad days and allergies and sinus infections, and He says -- I'm with you, I'm with you through it all. For better or for worse, for rich or for poor, nothing can separate Me from you. I'm here, and I always will be. There's nothing we can do to make Him love us more or less -- He loves us as we are, and He accepts us as we come.

So, today, my friend Matthew Scott McFarland, as you gaze down the aisle at your beautiful bride walking toward you, may you be as God to her. May you love her forever and ever, even through the icky moments and the grumpy days. May you completely enjoy the wife of your youth, and may you cherish the wife of your golden years. May the Lord lead you forward together and bless your union, for you know that it is a creation of His. Always trust in Him, always hope in Him, and always persevere in Him, and He will bring trust, hope, and perserverence into your relationship.

I am so happy for you and the journey that lies ahead of you. I speak now and I hold onto this peace forever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home