Friday, June 01, 2007

reading, writing, and jeeps

I am forming a book discussion group with people from work or around or wherever, and I started the book last night. Its title shall remain a mystery right now, as I'm still trying to figure out if I like it, or agree with the author's views, or think he's out of his mind ...

But I like these lines that I read this morning (even though I'm not sure I totally agree with them):
For thousands of years followers of Jesus, like artists, have understood that we have to keep going, exploring what it means to live in harmony with God and each other. The Christian faith tradition is filled with change and growth and transformation. Jesus took part in this process by calling people to rethink faith and the Bible and hope and love and everything else, and by inviting them into the endless process of working out how to live as God created us to live.

The challenge for Christians then is to live with great passion and conviction, remaining open and flexible, aware that this life is not the last painting.

Times change. God doesn't, but times do. We learn and grow, and the world around us shifts, and the Christian faith is alive only when it is listening, morphing, innovating, letting go of whatever has gotten in the way of Jesus and embracing whatever will help us be more and more the people God wants us to be.
I like how the words sound, I'm just not sure that I completely grasp what they mean. Or, maybe I'm not sure what the author intends them to mean.

post script: (that's fancy for PS) Ok, so I'm posting again. This is partly in response to the surprising number of complaints/requests I received to keep writing, and partly because there is so much going on that my hands are getting tired from writing in my journal.

post post script: I will be picking up my Jeep in 3.5 hours, and I'm excited.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home