Wednesday, May 23, 2007

please -- take YOUR space ... I don't want it!

A quick follow-up question/comment to the last blog post.
Am I the only person over 20 who has not fallen prey to all the myspace craziness? It's funny, I used to hear all the kids in my program talk about it ... you know, 12 and 13-year-old's who were giggling about the "cute boy" that just added them to his friends' list. Now, somehow I have been transported to an environment where my COLLEAGUES talk about the site more than the pre-teens ever did!
Yikes.
Lest I be deemed as a liar, let me admit I went on to the site ONCE ... but it was only to try to track down a 15-year-old girl who had disappeared from the mentoring program, and also from her mother's house. I had heard from her friends that she had a myspace page, so I tried to find her profile. I did find it, after much searching and much exposure to the current state of the world (I was scared, by the way).
I suppose it can be some sort of a networking tool, but I'm not sure I would want to network with many of the people whose profiles I saw that day. And - call me crazy - but I have this thing about just walking up to someone and talking to them, instead of going home, closing the door, and sitting in front of a computer screen to search for someone to talk to.
I feel like I should start to write a manifesto of some sort. Or maybe that's what I have been doing in these last few posts.
I'm a different sort of person lately, and I'm curious about this process in which I find myself. I'm closer and closer to buying a big ol' 4 wheel drive truck, and have taken steps toward protecting myself and my property. Is it strange to bake cookies, knit, and clean a gun in the same evening? Hmmmm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home