Monday, January 08, 2007

The Importance of Meeting Earnest

Today at the outreach center I met a man named Earnest. Yes, that's how his name is spelled (I asked just to make sure). He is 84 years old, and his wife Margaret is 85. We became quick friends after I told him that I wouldn't have guessed him to be a day over 83. He told me that so many people have it wrong today, that he gets sad because he sees so many people wasting their lives. He talked about cigarettes, alcohol, and laziness, and how all of those things will kill a person. There isn't room in his life for any of that -- he "messed around with" smoking and drinking when he was young and stupid, but he got older and grew out of the stupid. He told me that he smiles all the time, and a big part of it is because he's married to a great girl. He and Margaret still drive and "go out and about" and "love life" (the words in quotes are Earnest's own).

I could have talked to Earnest all night, but there was a line of people after him (many of whom are still stuck in the "stupid" phase, according to E's standards), so we said goodbye. As Earnest shook my hand and thanked me for the pleasure of my company, I found it interesting that his handshake is one of the firmest I have ever experienced. When Earnest walked away, there was actually a bounce in his step. I have heard the phrase, but I have never before seen it in real-life ... and I'm pretty sure it's a sight I will not soon forget.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home