Wednesday, May 12, 2004

flatulent dogs and the French mafia

Every Tuesday night is "movie night" for my friends and I. We meet at the nostalgic diner just blocks from my apartment, slurp away at milkshakes like they used to make 'em back in the day, and spend an inexpensive evening out.

Just 3 bucks gets us into the old-fashioned cinema across the street, where we sit in a small theater (the only one in the place, and no stereo sound here) and enjoy two movies for the price of half of one at a modern cinema megaplex. The movies last night were "Les Triplets de Belleville" and "The Ladykillers." I had seen previews for the second movie, but I knew nothing about the first one. But it was movie night, and I don't like to break from tradition ...

Hot dog, I don't think I have enjoyed a movie so much in quite a while. (And no, I don't usually use the phrase "hot dog" in my every day existence -- it just came out, and it seems to capture the feeling.) There was virtually no dialogue, and not too much depth to the storyline. But it was just a fun movie. I think at least part of my enjoyment was due to my environment. There I sat in a rickety old theater chair, having paid only $1.25 for the lemonade-iced tea that I was sipping, watching an animated film with a large dog with gas issues who had a propensity to bark at trains. How much more simple can a pleasure get?!?!?! I loved the music too -- it added to the overall mood of the film (which I can't really put my finger on, but I loved). I could go ahead and try to analyze what it was that I liked about the movie, and all of the various artistic influences and blah blah blah ... but I'll just say I liked it. It was good. It was fun. It was more than worth my $1.50.

1 Comments:

At 4:02 PM, Blogger Darcie said...

hi krista! thanks for being my first ever blog comment! i'm enjoying your blog, too. yay for obscure french movies! i am a big fan, although i missed triplets at the theater. you are so blessed to have a cheap cinema, and one that shows recent and cool films at that. and lemonade iced tea... yum.
i know what you mean about people getting you... i know i have to go out and make connection happen with friends in my city, but it's encouraging to read about people with the same interests and longings... to get little bits of their life and be inspired in your own. these blogs are little stars in the dark sky of the internet! :) keep writing, i'll keep reading!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home